Forthcoming and recent guest lectures and conference papers:
- January 2017: Keynote lecture – international conference: All Ireland Architectural Research Group (AIARG) Annual Conference, Waterford Institute of Technology, 26-28 January
- October 2016: Keynote lecture – international conference: Phenomenology of Space, Society for Phenomenological Philosophy Annual Meeting, KU Leuven, Brussels 28-29 October.
- October 2016: Invited contribution – international workshop: Architecture of Embodiment, convened by Alex Arteaga at AEDES Berlin, 6-8 October.
- April 2016: Guest lecture: “Architecture, Technology and the Body: From the Prehuman to the Posthuman,” for Critical Studies seminar series: What is the Natural?, Dept. of Natural and Built Environment, Sheffield Hallam University. Thursday 7th April.
- March 2016: Invited speaker: Phenomenology and Creativity, one-day workshop, Department of Philosophy/Centre for Modern Studies, University of York. Friday 4th March 1.00-6.00pm (The Treehouse, Berrick Saul Building).
- January 2016: Invited respondent to: Guest lecture by Tim Ingold, University of Aberdeen, “What if the City were an Ocean and its Buildings Ships?”, at Birkbeck College, University of London, hosted by Living Maps. 27th January 6.00pm.
- December 2015: Guest lecture: “Architecture, Technology and the Body: Narrative Environments and the Paradigm of Embodiment,” for MA Creative Practice for Narrative Environments, Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design, University of the Arts, London. Wednesday 2nd December, 5.00pm, F104.
- November 2015: Conference paper – “From Body to Body: Architecture, Movement and Meaning in the Museum.” Interdisciplinary conference, The Future of Museum and Gallery Design, University of Hong Kong (Organised by University of Leicester, University of Nottingham, University of the Arts (London) and Chinese University Hong Kong) November 13-15.
- June 2015: Invited contribution: “Merleau-Ponty and the Image: Drawing as Experience and Expression,” Symposium: Almshouse Tempera Project, University of Nottingham, Trent Building LG11, Wednesday 24th June, 12-5pm.
- June 2015: Invited contribution and panel discussion: A Place to Dance? Four Days of Provocation, Session 2: New Art Exchange, Nottingham NG7 6BE, Friday 19th June, 11am – 1pm. Organised by Dance4, Nottingham.
- June 2015: Keynote lecture: AHRA Research Student Symposium, School of Architecture, Design and Environment, Plymouth University, June 11-13th 2015.
- May 2015: Invited contribution: “Vertigo and Phenomenology – The Body and the City,” interdisciplinary workshop: Vertigo in the City: Conversations Between the Sciences, Arts and Humanities, University of Westminster, May 29th.
- March 2015: Guest lecture: “Materiality, Movement and Meaning: Architecture and the Embodied Mind,” ESALA, University of Edinburgh, 6.30pm March 13th.
- March 2015: Chair of post-show discussion panel with Rosemary Butcher and Sam Williams, following performance of Secrets of the Open Sea and Test Pieces at Nottingham Contemporary (NottDance Festival) March 6th.
- October 2014: Invited lecture – International workshop: The Prism of Sustainability, hosted by the Organisation of Danish Museums (ODM) at the Royal Library, Copenhagen. 3:00pm October 27th.
- October 2014: Keynote lecture – International conference: Designing and Planning the Built Environment for Human Well-Being (including the 6th Annual Symposium of Architectural Research 2014, together with the Nordic Association of Architectural Research Conference – NAAR). Oulu School of Architecture, University of Oulu, Finland. October 23-25th.
- May 2014: Guest lecture: “Architecture, Technology and the Body: Narrative Environments and the Paradigm of Embodiment,” for MA Creative Practice for Narrative Environments, Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design, University of the Arts, London. May 21st.
March 2014: Invited Contribution to International Symposium: Neuro Logics: Architecture, Starting with the Brain, University of Toronto, John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design, 7-8th March. Guest speakers include Sarah Williams Goldhagen, Harry Francis Mallgrave, Sanford Kwinter, Catherine Ingraham, Graham Harman and others. Organized by Matthew Allen, Assistant Professor, University of Toronto. Funded by The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
- December 2013: Research Seminar: “Unlocked-for-Editing: Architecture and the Image”, Science-Technology-Culture Research Group, Rm A09 Highfield House, University Park Campus, University of Nottingham, Weds 11th December, 5.00pm.
- November 2013: Guest Lecture Series: “Building Ideas: An Introduction to Architectural Theory,” School of Architecture, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou. 13th, 14th, and 15th November.
- November 2013: Guest Lecture: “BODY_BUILDING_WORLD: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Technology,” Dept of Civil and Architectural Engineering, City University of Hong Kong, 12th November.
- November 2013: Contribution to the symposium: Representation, Weds 6th November, 1.00-5.00pm, Buckley Lecture Theatre, School of Art and Design, University of Huddersfield.
- October 2013: Introduction to AHRG Annual Symposium: Architecture and Literature – Forms of Memory, at the Dept of Architecture and Built Environment, University of Nottingham. October 16th 2.00-5.30pm. (co-organised by the School of English, University of Nottingham)
June 2013: Panel discussion: Follow-up to the lecture series “Is There an Object Oriented Architecture?” on the work of the philosopher Graham Harman, organised by The Architecture Exchange, and held at The Swedenborg Society, London. June 22nd, 5.30-8.30pm.
May 2013: Invited lecture: “Coping Without Noticing?: Buildings as Tool-Beings”, (contribution to lecture series responding to the work of the philosopher Graham Harman, founder of ‘speculative realism’): Organised by The Architecture Exchange, and held at The Swedenborg Society, London. May 15th, 7-9pm. YouTube video available here.
- March 2013: Panel discussion: “Sage Handbook of Architectural Theory”, chaired by Prof Adrian Forty, at The Bartlett, UCL. March 21, 6:30pm.
- March 2013: Guest lecture: “Narrative Space: Architecture, Embodiment and the Museum Experience”, for MA Creative Practice for Narrative Environments, Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design, University of the Arts, London. March 14, 2013.
- March 2013: Guest lecture: “Body-Building-World: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Technology”, School of Architecture Design & the Built Environment, Nottingham Trent University. March 12, 2013.
February 2013: Invited paper: “Critical Phenomenology: Architecture and the Ambiguities of Embodiment”, at the Frascari Symposium: Critical Phenomenology, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, Carleton University, Ottawa, Feb 8, 2013. Published as: “Critical Phenomenology: Architecture and Embodiment,” Architecture and Ideas, vol 12 (2013) pp. 18-37.
January/February 2013: Visiting Fellowship: Azrieli Visiting Critic, including postgraduate studio, “Discursive Space in the Museum”; and invited lectures: “Body-Building-World: Technology as a Form of Knowledge”, Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, Carleton University, Ottawa, Jan 16 & Jan 29, 2013.
- November 2012: Invited paper: “Cognitive Tectonics: Technology as Integration”, at the international symposium Towards an Ecology of Tectonics, Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts (KADK), Copenhagen, Nov 1, 2012.
- October 2012: Guest lecture: “Architecture & Embodiment: From the Prehuman to the Posthuman”, Research Seminar Series, Faculty of Architecture & History of Art, University of Cambridge, Oct 23, 2012.